Pet Kingdom was started in
1973 by Dean and Cleo Benschoter and located in their rural home.
Many an adult today remembers being a child in Algona and making a
trip to the country to pick out goldfish! In 1983,
Benschoter's relocated the store to downtown Algona, in the same
building it is today.
In 2001, the Benshcoter's decided to
retire from the retail world, and sold the store to Debra Wolfe, along
with the building it occupied. Renovations began immediately on the
historic facility, which was built in the late 1800's and in need of
major repairs. The restoration was completed in December of
2003 and re-opened as Pet Kingdom...Where Pets Rule.
The store now occupies half of the
lower level and the entire upper level and is approximately 5000
square feet of shopping and fun! We also have a Pet Spa &
And of course, ALL PETS are WELCOME at Pet Kingdom...Where Pets Rule!